Friday, October 2, 2009

Skymail

Dearest Dustin,

I recently heard someone say that death broke their heart into more pieces than they even knew could make-up a heart in the first place. I wish I did not know the feeling! On April 15, my heart shattered into so many pieces that sometimes it still feels like millions of angry soldiers are trying to march right out of my chest. At other times, the pieces feel so small that I wonder if I have any real heartbeat left at all.

It has been seven and a half years. Today would have been your 27th birthday. As I am sure you can see, we are still trying to make sense of everything, and the most out of your earthly presence.

I still find myself wishing God would let you come visit for a day. You could inspire us with stories of divine beauty. You could play golf with dad and grin-and-bear the snuggles of mom. Bird would want to catch-up on your love life, and I could make you dinner (and desert), fix your hair and help you pick out your clothes for tomorrow.

I miss you little brother. I hope the angels are helping you celebrate on this very special day. Happy, happy, happy birthday.

Love, "Ash-tone"