Tuesday, December 8, 2009

One of those times...

Sometimes I just feel the need to write. Tonight is one of those times so here begins another stream of conscience.

Sunday School… wow! If you have any preconceived notion of what Sunday School entails, I want you to imagine the exact opposite and that is my Sunday School class. We are a group of strangers turned family, and while we only meet once a week, we are present in each others’ lives 24 x 7. We talk about faith and love, but more importantly, we seek ways to live faithfully and lovingly. I have never felt so close to God. Every day I am thankful for this new group of friends in my life.

Speaking of things that "I am"… I am also scared. We are going through a challenging time with one of our DGH students. Challenging in a way that I have not experienced in my 8 years of doing this type of volunteer work – and believe me, I have seen my fair share of doozies.
It is so hard to know what to do because, admittedly, you cannot relate to the lives that some of these kids lead. For me, it’s like trying to imagine being gay, and black, and homeless. You may laugh, but can you imagine being gay, and black, and homeless?
I wish I had the perfect words. I wish there was a secret recipe. I love this child so incredibly much… why does she refuse to feel that love?

And now on to love… my little sister is so head over heels in love that it makes me proud. Yes, there are an infinite number of emotions you feel when it comes to your little sister getting engaged, but more than anything else, right now I feel proud. I am so incredibly proud of her morals and her values. I am proud of the fact that she pays attention to the details that come with loving another human being, and I am proud of the fact that
she is willing to work to become a better person though this love. Little Birdy, you make me so proud!

Last, but certainly not least, I have to give thanks to my husband. As many of you know, I go at 100 miles an hour. Miraculously, Mike remains one step ahead of me in my quest for life. He is ready to greet me in victory when I succeed, and he is also ready to embrace me in sorrow when I fail. I do not know what I did to deserve such an amazing partner in life, but for the record God, I am VERY, VERY thankful!