Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Hola Madrid

We made it – but barely! Lochlan has not taken to flying like her brother and she screamed (bloody murder) for 5 1/2 hours of the 8 hour, RED EYE flight. (As a side note, I consider myself a near expert when it comes to flying with kids. I pack the right things to bring on the plane, know the right set-up once you board, and have tons of tricks around what to do when a kid gets cranky at 30K+ feet. BUT NOTHING WAS WORKING!) The screaming was so bad and so relentless four different passengers came up to offer their assistance. One prayed for her, two offered to hold her, and one suggested we put her hands and feet in a bowl of warm water. Lochlan went bonkers when the water bowl came out, but I just sat there with a near-death grip on the child, holding her while this sweet stranger drizzled warm water on her feet. By the time Lochlan finally dozed off, I looked like I had been peeing in my pants the entire flight. But I did not care. She slept for an hour and then woke up like nothing had ever happened. (Insert Expletive!)

The culprit, looking so entertained and happy. If only this had not been a red eye flight!
Nonetheless, we are here and as soon as our taxi pulled out of the airport and onto the streets of Madrid, the flight from hell was somehow worthwhile. Our apartment is adorable and in a great location. Keller is obsessed with the keys (never realized we were depriving him of such joy by having digital locks and keyless car entry), and he thinks the building looks like Paddington Bear’s apartment in London because of the staircase. We are surrounded by cute cafes and are only a couple minutes walk from the Reina Sofia, the Prado, and fantastic parks.

In the taxi on the way to the apartment.
I have two great friends along for this part of the trip: Joan Wellman, a dear friend who has traveled the world with me in years past through Dustin’s GreenHouse, and Sarah Catherine Lucas (aka Saca), our sometimes Nanny and Lochlan’s Godmother. Since we were all in the same row on the flight over, no one got any sleep (thank you Lochlan). After a short cat-nap, we spent yesterday afternoon wandering around in a bit (okay, a lot) of a delirious haze. We did make it to Plaza Mayor for an early dinner. We peeped into the Torre de Oro (one of Madrid’s shrines to bull fighting), and the girls tried their first paella. It was fun to see the street performers, tourists, students, and locals passing through. It has been 13 years since I was here last. As we sat there sipping sangria and watching life unfold it felt like nothing had changed. Then I looked down and watched as our two beautiful children took in the same sights and sounds, and my heart was overwhelmed with joy and gratitude.

An early dinner in Plaza Mayor
Someone has taken a liking to the bread, he grabbed an entire loaf. 
We look better than we feel (and smell).
My Spanish is coming back slowly. Saca and I have had fun trying to remember random vocabulary words, like elevator (ascensor) and ice (hielo). It is so good for Keller to see me / us trying to navigate a new language. I’m hoping he will follow suit in a couple days.

Buenos Noches.